Mulching blades without baffles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedSox4Life, Nov 3, 2007.

1. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I recently tried to buy gator blades for one of my mowers when I was disappointed to learn that none are made that fit it. My plan was to be able to bag leaves when I wanted and also to mulch when I wanted without having to change blades or install mulching baffles. So my question is are split-level style mulching blades useless without the baffles installed? Would I be better off with the factory blades? The only time I'd be running this set up is for leaf clean ups. Thanks for any input you guys can give.

2. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

We use gators year round dont know about split level style should be better than reg. blades. by the way what kind of mower do you have I have a independent shop that can get gators for just about any mower so he says.maybe i can help

3. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

I don't know about Redsox4life, but they don't make Gators for Exmark Triton decks yet.

4. RedSox4Life

from Mass

I'm talking about a kubota zg23 w/ 54" deck. Another thing I wanted to mention is specifically I was looking for gator magnums.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Kubota is one that is bad for using really oddball blade specs.

At their low volume, this insures there will be very little available for it aftermarket, which means more OEM sales.

The wavy mulching blades should work fine for you. Part of what you cut will always be chopped up and down discharged out of sight, and the rest will make it's way out the discharge. So you will collect a little less per K.

How will this work for you particularly for leaves... nobody can tell you. All you can do is try and see.

During bagging, you may find it works great.
    Then again, you may find the deck drops visible leaf mulch.

During discharge, you may get the level of mulching you expected.
    But understand that true mulching doesn't happen with an open discharge.

6. RedSox4Life

from Mass

Envy, you hit the nail on the head with your answer, thats exactley what I was looking for. Thank you.

7. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Exmark wavey mulch blades with my Triton deck with good success.

8. Envy Lawn Service

No problem...

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

If you don't there is always the option of the use of a machine shop or a good drill press... spacers, etc..... meaning you can find other styles of blades that are the proper length, and then bore them out to your center hole size... and add spacers on top of the custom blade to position it at the right depth in the deck, etc....

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The meg mo blades will take carry of both jobs with any baffles.

10. Envy Lawn Service

You don't even have Meg-Mo's for this model do you?