mulching blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Sep 19, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

who makes a good 21" mulching blade and should I be bagging or mulching with a 21"? Or does it matter?
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Blade selection can depend greatly on brand of mower you have. IMO, mulching is the only way to go.
  3. smokymoose

smokymoose LawnSite Member

I believe there is a wesite that sells mulching blades. Go to yahoo or whatever and search for mow products, I think thats the one I saw eariler this year they have a ton of blades. I do alot of small (1/4 acre) lots and use an Airens 21". The grass down here this season grew to fast to mulch effectively. Right now I am bagging these yards, to pick up the increasing leaf fall and prepare the bermuda for winter, (picking up clippings and thatch. Up where you are the leaves are probably dropping or will be soon so using mulching blades with a bagger may be a good option to leave the yard looking clean. I don't have mulching blades on the 21" but I do and always will use them on my ztr, The discharge of the clippings is greatly reduced. Good Luck.
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I use mulching blades on both mowers. On the 48" I use doubles (both mulching blades-top and bottom), and the 21" has the factory mulching blade. I don't bag unless I'm picking up leaves or the disaster from dethatching. Mulched grass clippings is one of the best natural fertilizers.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Other than the 21# mower try the MEG MO blades.