1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulching by yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Slcareco, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

With a 65.00/yard price is delivery included if the company charges? or even if its free or would it be 65/yard + delivery charge?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

This is the same question you ask in another thread last week. But if you are talking about charging the customer $65 a yard Installed for mulch that is already a Top Dollar Price for that job (as many charge $45 a yard) so I don't believe you could also justify a charge for delivery fee on top of that also.

Even though your profile says 2 years experience, based on the questions you ask it also seems to me that your true experience in the full service green industry (things other than just pushing a lawn mower) is very limited so you might actually want to work for someother LCO for a year or so and get some very valuable experince at their expense instead of yours.

3. Slcareco

I'm just learning the whole do it myself thing cause i have worked for other LCO but hated it and wanted to start on my own and besides they dont go over prices with the employees they just show u how to do it

4. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

As stated before, mulch prices vary dramatically. However, I can tell you that most will quote customers in the neighborhood of $45-65 per yard delivered and spread. Basically, customer needs 5 yards of mulch, you pick up 5 yards pay for it, bring to their property, spread it and bill them $45-65, whatever you charge.

5. Slcareco

good deal
    thanks

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

This all boils down to the need to know your overhead and actual job cost to set prices.

The FIRST THING you should do when starting a business is either take some business classes, of buy and read some books.

If you know how to figure your fixed and dynamic costs, then pricing is a no brainer.

Buy a vander Kooi jod costing book available through ALCA.

It goes into detail work methods and average times almost every type of job, and explains how to price.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

price of mulch

add cost of aquisition (drive time)

Add time needed to spread (modify with difficulty of terrain) times hourly rate.

final price.

Always overestimate mulch needed by 10% 20% if less than 3 yds

I usually pay $25-30 per yard bulk

I usually charge $30-40 per yard for installation. $75 minimum

If I need more than 12 yds I seriously consider subbing out to a guy with a mulch blower truck.