Mulching decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plateau lawn care, Jan 17, 2005.

1. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

How many of you use mulching decks I thought about using one this year, do they work good on 48 inch decks. What mowers do you use them on and the horse power

2. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

all my mowers have mulching decks, they work great
    32 toro 12.5 kohler
    37 toro 16 vanguard
    48 toro 25 kohler
    42 walker 20 kohler

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

ditto here
    would never mow without them.

2 toro 44" pro line
    toro grounds master (both a 44 and a 52" deck)
    excel hustler super mini Z
    snapper 21's
    JD 21"

4. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Ive got a 36" waljk behind and bought some gator blades for it but the guy who sold it to me said the gator blades are good for leaves and such but for regular grass cutting/mulching I should use the high lift blades that came on it w/ the mulch plate. Any insight? Oh and the maunal said for best bagging results use a high lift blade only on the blade neasrest the bag? CONFUSED! help a rookie!

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Just got one this past fall for my Toro 36 wb...it has a 15hp kohler. Also will have one on a Toro 32 wb. The 36 did great on leaf jobs! I cant believe I used to pick up all those suckers!! I plan to use it all season.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

Curb appeal,

the reason you use a high lift blade and two gators is because the high lifts create more airflow to give you a better discharge, but in you case your bagging, so the high lift blade close to the bag will pack it better than if you used all gators.

have you tried the mulch plate yet? I'm not sure how it would work.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have the bolt on mulching kit on my 717 and it is the best money I ever spent! Using it with gators will make leaves and grass disappear, you will forget about bagging. On the down side is not good in thick tall grass. I use it on most all of my winter cleanups. Never had one complaint.

8. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

havent tried the mulching plate yet. If I can help it im not going to bag. Im trying to fing the best combination to avoid any baging. What do you guys do? I know for sure I am going to avoid bagging just grass but when it comes to cleanups leafs/pinestraw what is the qiuckest?