Mulching Frogs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering if I'm the only one who waits for frogs and toads to get out of my way while mowing. I always feel bad when I mulch one. I've even been known to stop the mower, get off, and put them somewhere safe.
  2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I slow down or wait for them to get clear but sometimes its unavoidable. However, my lazer hp does mulch frogs well. I would recommend it for frog mulchers over those orange mowers:p
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I always try to chase everything out of the way instead of mowing them. I've wacked a couple of baby rabitts by mistake and I felt horrible about it. One made a noise. Ugh.

4. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I waited for 2 frogs to get out of the way when I was trimming not too long ago. I won't wait for snakes, I'll chop them up if I get a chance.
  5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I chopped up a mini mouse this summer with a REEL mower.

I thought to myself I didn't need to sharpen my reels that day;)
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I had to wait for a frog and help a turtle move out of the way today. Took a 4' Black Racer (snake) for a ride today on my shoulders while I was mowing. I think it was enjoying the ride. I swear this property has every type of animal on it since it's a riverside property. So far I've seen moles, ground hogs, turtles, frogs, snakes, deer, two falcon and a hawk.
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Wonder how my customers would react if I put an extra charge on their invoice for excessive frogs?:D
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure they wouldn't mind as long as you threw the legs up on their grill and cooked them their dinner.
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll take time (when mowing or trimming) to move any critter or wait if they have running ability, with the exceptions of snakes, wasps, and generally any that have harmful bites/stings.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I wait for turtles too