1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching grass vs hauling away grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gholmes, Feb 16, 2003.

1. gholmes

gholmes LawnSite Member
    from IN

What are some of the percentages of residential customers wanting the grass picked up? Some of my customers like to have the grass hauled away. Its a hassle, but I charge respectfully. I live in a residential area so its not to fun to get rid of the grass daily.
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

You just need to help them understand just how much FREE fertilizer they are throwing away.
  3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I won't take any cutomers that require bagging.
  4. deason

deason LawnSite Member

100% mulch. After you explain to them the benifits of mulching, they usually agree. Also, after a season, they will notice the difference.
  5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I only have 1 customer that gets their lawn bagged on a biweekly bases due to they have alot of pine trees, and when it is bagged the bags are left on the curb for the city to pick up. I would say if you have to haul grass away CHARGE for it, its a huge pain in thte butt! just my 2cents
  6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I haven't bagged grass for well over 5 years now. If you want, take a look at other threads about this (search function, upper right hand corner of your screen).

We use backpack blowers to break up any grass clumps left over from mowing, and to distribute grass clippings over the lawn, so essentially you will see no grass clippings after we mow.

When we did bag (it was for a customer who had the grass growing right up to the inground pool), we charged accordingly. All of my customers are happy to pay less for no bagging now.
  7. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I only have three accounts that require bagging. Two of them live on the lake and have me bag so they don't get grass clippings stuck to there wet feet when they get off boats and jet ski's. The other guy allowed me to mulch his once . After I was done he looked around and said you're right you can't tell the the difference and then told to make sure to keep bagging it.
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

My results have been that if there are no visible clippings, the customer does not care if its bagged or mulched. As long as it looks good, and they dont have to take care of it, they are happy. I did have one old lady that said she didn't like me to "chop the grass", because her dog tracked in the clippings. :rolleyes:
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

99.9% want their clippings picked up. The only time we do not pick up is if a yard is over 2 acres.
  10. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

95% bagging here. Thats what our Walkers do best. Sooner or later we'll try out a SD deck. No bagging with our wb's...couldn't be bothered with it...too inefficient when compared to our Walkers!