Mulching in Mass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pvs landscaping, Mar 28, 2007.

1. pvs landscaping

pvs landscaping LawnSite Member
    from mass

Hi Guy's. I am working on my first bid for a mulch job. It is in an association community. All single family homes and the mulch is going into the common areas only, club house, 5 islands in 5 culdesac's and banks on the entrance. The job is 18 yards of mulch. 18 yards at $35 a yard is $630. What would you suggest I charge for instillation? Do you guys ad in a delivery charge? Thanks in advance for the help!

2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

are you paying $35 a yd? or selling it for that price? because i can buy two yards for $35.00 in CT..

3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

i pay 18 a yard and charge 65 a yard.

4. pvs landscaping

pvs landscaping LawnSite Member
    from mass

I went to Shemins which is a landscape supplier and thats what they are going to charge me. They are supposed to be a whole sale distributer. Whats up with that?

5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of mulch?

i pay 18 for hardwood, wich is what i push on all my customers

27 red/ black

30 cedar, only use it once a year i hate it

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You should be able to get hemlock mulch in the Shemin's area (Hudson, MA) for about $25 or 28/yd...delivered. Shop around. I charge $65 installed.

7. SavageLandscaping

SavageLandscaping LawnSite Member

I live in the springfield are of Mass and i go to rocky mountain wood co for my mulch i get it for 20 a yard and charge 35 as far as charging the customer labor i would just figure out the hour and charge accordingly i charge 65 an hour im just a one man crew if you have employess your hourly rate is probly more