Mulching in Ohio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snap12.5, Jan 5, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

for the guys that mulch in northeast Ohio, what do u buy mulch for and what do u charge for spreading??? in VA and NY, for example, companies charge as much as $60-$70/yard spread. in ohio, no customer would pay that.
    any ideas where to buy good mulch for a good price in the barberton, norton, akron, fairlawn, copley or surrounding areas??? the place that i buy from now always has chewed up pieces of trash bags and other stuff mixed in that i need to pull out when spreading the mulch in the beds.

2. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

i get 70 a yard in southern oh

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I appear to be working the area south of you. Just to spread mulch I charge roughly 50 to 65 a yard. Thats for one man plus myself. we can usually shovel and spread about 3 to 4 yards an hour depeneding on the variables. This year I am charging more or I am not going to do it cause I have mulching. I charge edging by the foot and weeding by the job plus chemical cost. I get brown for 15 a yard and red for 20 a yard. I would like to charge about 65 per man per hour plus the cost of mulch. That is the goal for this year.

4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't make assumptions on what your customers will do based on your values. You will be surprised on how much money you will leave on the table if you do. If the work was easy, no one would need you to do it for them. Smile, polite responses and common courtesy will get you more profit than you think. You are offering an option to solve their problem...they aren't doing you a favor by letting you work for them cheaply.

Good Luck

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I get $55-60 per yard....outside Dayton.....

Derek

6. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I've been charging 50-65/yard. This year prices are going up to 55-70/yard. Don't be afraid to charge for what it is worth. Edging is an upsell on top of those prices.

7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I get 40-50 here in Akron. We do allot of mulching at that price.