1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching Job Pics

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ShawnH, Nov 19, 2009.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Are you having any issues with debris in the engine compartment at all and dust in the cab?
  2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, thats not just getting stuck, thats sinking in! :eek:
  3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I never liked CAT's flat bottom. I got hung up a lot.
  4. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

8.8" of ground clearance doesn't help either. :confused:
  5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

a lot of yahoos in the old days left stumps that high plus all the rocks here. None of the skids or CTL's seem to sit high enough other than ASV.
    I have seen quite a few CAT bottoms. The clean out plates are usually dented in, bolts ripped off, etc. Not much clearance when you are off road.
  6. ShawnH

ShawnH LawnSite Member

YellowDogSvc I am not charging sales tax had no idea we needed to.

bobcat_ron The cab isn't 100 percent dust free but it does a good job. The engine compartment isnt debris proof either even with CATs Velcro vinyl fix. :hammerhead: Its fair to say it stays reasonable clean but I am thinking about filling up the guard where the hoses come out with spray foam. I cant see where filling around the hoses would hurt anything and it would stop allot of the trash from getting under the cab.

Junior I have another stuck pick just for you .. This happened again today when my partner was trying to get back over in the same area. He made the mistake of staying in the same spot to long and turning. Once the crust gave out down she went.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Man that looks like soup.
  8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

how did you get that out?

can you give me your overall opinion on the 289? im look at one exactly like it (repo) hi-flow and two speed like yours. I just cant decide between a 297c (i do snow work) a 272c with vts (im worried about finals blowing on ctls) and the 289.

do you find that door to be a pain? im coming from a deere so i like roll up doors.

have you thrown the tracks off the cat?
  9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

would you mind pming me what you paid for that machine? (excluding head)
  10. ShawnH

ShawnH LawnSite Member

We ran chain up the hill to a large 4x4 forklift and he pulled us right out no problem.

I really like the 289 it runs great and has a comfortable cab. Coming from the deer you will have to get used to having the arms all the way down before you can get out but I think you will be more comfortable in the CAT cab.

The tracks coming off are an issues if your working on uneven terrain such as over stumps and branches and small trees. After dropping a track 3 times in the first 50 hours our dealer upgraded the back idler from a single to a double and that seems to have fixed the problem for the most part. I don't think you will have a problem pushing snow even with the single idler on the 289. Personally I would take the 289 over the 297C (smooth ride but expensive to maintain) or the 272 VTS (ruff ride).