Mulching kit for 36" Proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davis4004, May 30, 2005.

1. davis4004

davis4004 LawnSite Member

I just bought my first WB last week, it's a Proline 36" T-Bar Gear. I love it but I really need to get a mulching kit because bagging is too much of a PITA in my area and I have some small yards where side discharging throws the grass into the beds. My dealer wants $150 for the Toro kit and I was wondering what that includes. I'm assuming just mulching blades and a blocker on the chute. Thanks guys

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely includes a batwing baffle also. IMO just pay the dealer and write it off come next April 15.

3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and am very happy w/ it.

It included baffles, two curved pieces under the deck to make two cutting chambers, and a plate blocking the discharge hole (actually the curved pieces curve to block the hole).

In tall bermuda, it will leave rows of grass clippings on the right side at times, and we have to blow the lawn to make it look professional. This is better than getting grass in the beds.

That price sounds good as well....seems like I paid $200 or so....

4. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

Is there enoughf power to pull it through the wet tall stuff? What engine do you have?

5. z_clark

Yes, plenty of power (toro/15 Kohler/belt/ 36"/ floater)

We also pull jungle wheels behind it. We usually mow at full speed, unless it is bumpy or over grown.

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a mulch kit for my eXmark 48" Viking, and I like it. Sometimes if the grass is really tall or wet, it will clump pretty bad under the deck. But in normal conditions, its great.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

If you have the SFS Toro Deck then the Mulch Kit is a Waste of Money...Toro Deck too Shallow to Mulch and the Mulch Kit Makes the Front End eXcessivly Heavy because it has to Compensate for the Baffleless SFS Design..Toro Deck Bad.

If You are Lucky and Purchased a Toro fIxed Deck which is Actually an eXmark Deck then the Mulch Kit will Work Just Fine.

I you Were Smart You Would have Purchased an eXmark Floater.

8. z_clark

No problems with the mulch kit on my Super Flow deck (36" floater). We are mowing dry Bermuda here, and it turns it to dust. When wet or too tall it will leave a row at the right side that has to be blown clean.

As far a weight goes...It couldn't have added more than 5 to 10 lbs, it is just a few steel pieces and a few little baffles. Probably the same weight that was lost when taking off the big discharge shoot.

So...maybe not for your grass in Canada, but works like a champ here.

Oh, and by the way Fareway...I bought a Metro 26" today....I like it so far :p I will be posting about it when we get a full days use on it.