1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching kit for Exmark Turf Tracer HP 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Nov 4, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking of an eXmark mulching kit for my Turf Tracer HP. Will wet grass be a big problem with mulching?
  2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

With OEM blades big problem with grass.
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

talk to darryl gesner he has a mulching kit on his tthp 48.im sure he can give you the good and bad on the mulching kit.
  4. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

With OEM blades no problem with grass.
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have the mulch kit for my 48" TTHP and my 52" Lazer HP. I run the mulch kits with the OEM blades (wavy mulchers) most of the season.

You can cut wet grass, within limits. I would suggest not going the mulching route in the spring during heavy growth or if you do a lot of bi-weekly. Large amounts of tall wet grass will plug the deck up.

Also, you do have to slow down some, but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. It leaves a really nice cut and makes most debris just disappear.
  6. GTLC

this may ound really dumb but what does OEM mean?
  7. GTLC

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Original Equipment Manufacturer, as opposed to after market like meg-mo. Just wondering, I assume "meg" is short for megga, but what's the "mo" stand for?
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I think Darryl basically agreed with the Megster. Try reading his post. First, you have problems with heavy wet grass, and need to mow bi-weekly. Also, if you stop the machine the debris falls out.
    Bottom-line, nothing is free, and cutting dry grass finer is OK, but if it’s wet it makes it worse.
    One thing is if you have a long wet lawn, you’ll never cut through it mulching, or you'll have to go so slow it's faster not mulching. At least with the open chute you can double cut and end up with a good result.
  10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive