Mulching Kit For Lazer Z: Worth it???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOTES, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I''ve been mowing for 6 years now and decided to see how the mulching kit for my Exmark Z does. So i go buy the kit, they install it for me, all for $180. Never use the mulching kit before, here i go try it out, it somewhat mow and mulch the grass okay, but on the other hand, going over a some leaf turn out to be not mulch up very good. Mainly, i wanted to buy the mulching kit for the leaf, or i thought i did. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'll give it a 3. It really didn't surprise me much. Normally, i use hi-lift blades to blow all leaf to one side of property and then rake up. Again, thought the mulch kit would help. Please, if anybody use this kit or know about it, let me know what time of year it use best. (i'm guessing all the time.) tell me more about it will be helpful. Right now, i'm kind of clueless on this mulching kit:hammerhead: . Again, as for now, was getting the mulching kit worth it? NO for me unless some of you disagree. Thanks
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do others Mulch in your area??
  3. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I don't really pay attention to the others:confused: , but I'm going to say mostly no.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What deck are you using? (Ultra-Cut or Triton?)
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

That could be a warning sign. You might want to pay more attention to who is and who is not before you get one.

Tom i think its an Ultra:waving:
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I use the mulch kit for everything and I love it. I have no idea what deck I have except its a 2005 19 HP 44" Lazer Z. Never paid much attention to the name on the deck. For the leaves it works great I have noticed that when mulching leaves you have to go much slower but has some blowout which is no big deal. The slower you go the less blowout you have. Hope this helps.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

mulching slowes you down too much..... i either side discharge, and if i have to i have a bagger for the z, which i charge double for, sometimes tripple... it helps discourage bagging.....

i think you end up double cutting too much with a mulching kit on a z...
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Then I suggest an "anti-blowout baffle" and some sort of OCDC :dancing: ahemm... (look at my sig)

With the A-BoB and a set of Gator Hi-Lift or Magnums plus some way to open and close the discharge on demand, you have one of the best combinations for leaves.
  9. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have been using mulch kits on exmarks for years. Really works great as long as leaves are fairly dry. I only use ultra vac when leaves get too heavy to mulch. Even if you have to double cut still easier than bagging.
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I mulch the leaves with my Deere Quik Trak because I am just not set up to bag. If I had a better way to load and haul the leaves after I bagged them with the mower, then I would do that. I think bagging looks better than mulching. But mulching works for me and my customers are happy with it. I guess thats all that matters.