Mulching kit info on Toro 48" rear discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stuttering Stan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for info about a mulching kit for a Toro 325 with a 48" Guardian Recycler rear discharge deck. Does anyone have a part #, recommendations, or suggestions about mulching with this deck.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What is the actual model number/serial number of the unit? I can check with what you posted, but that may not be enough info.

3. Stuttering Stan

Deck model # 78477, serial #892447. Frame model #74182, serial # 891466. Thanks for all your help, I am already tired of bagging everything

4. pugs

Here is what I found:

PRODUCT: Out Front Z

UNITS AFFECTED:
    Model Numbers: Serial Numbers:
    74181 890001 - 899999
    74183 890001 - 899999
    78477 890001 - 899999

SUBJECT: Optional Recycler baffles are available for 48" decks.

SITUATION: In some grass conditions there have been complaints of stragglers and streaking on the 48" deck.

CORRECTION: Verify proper setup on the unit. If the condition still occurs remove the original Recycler baffles and install the new Recycler baffles; follow the instructions exactly.

IMPORTANT: It is extremely important that the tolerance between the blade tip and the baffle be kept exactly as published.

WARRANTY: 0.5 hours

PARTS:
    (1) 100-2438 48" Recycler Baffle Kit

NOTES:

1. Use of ΒΌ" blades is recommended, see bulletin #34

2. Remove anti-scalp roller from under center front of deck to aid in improving quality of cut.

FORM NO. 3323-108

Rear Baffle Kit for 48" OFZ Deck

Part No. 100-2438

It doesnt really say if its a mulch kit or not. I am not very familiar with the unit you have as we have only been a Toro dealer for about a year. Is this machine like a Walker or other collection machine with the hopper out back?

I found the same part number above in their LCE accessories book...and its about the only thing that is close to a mulch kit for that machine that I see.

5. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

That unit is a "Recycler" deck, Toro's word for a mulcher. It is already a mulching deck and the S/B Pugs posted was a fix for quality of cut issues. If you look at the deck, you will find no discharge chute/area, thus the mulching capability.

Good Luck!! Mike

6. pugs

Thats kinda what I figured with the Recycler name in there...

7. Stuttering Stan

I am confused as to why you said there is no discharge chute. As I see it, the chute is in the rear center of the deck. In order for it to mulch, I imagine a triangle shape that would block that rear chute and finish circling the baffles.

8. Stuttering Stan

Pugs, thanks for the part numbers and explanations. This will help tremendously