Mulching Kit on a Grasshopper 223?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.TX, Apr 4, 2010.

1. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Does anyone have a mulch kit and how bad does it bog down with the 23hp ... I seem to have plenty of power discharging. I figure if I put the no lift blades or mulching blades that it should be fine. Also ... do you guys know the part number?

2. N.TX

from TEXAS

Oh ya ...the reason for wanting it is I am going to be mowing near some roadway and I dont want to be discharging at cars and it will save alot of time blowing off.

3. N.TX

from TEXAS

Bump....anyone?

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I had one for my 223/52 and it worked well. To be honest though I did not use it much because I like to just use the discharge cover and keep going to the inside if it was leaving a trail, and then raise the deck a couple inches and go back over that trail.
    The mulch kit is two pieces and six bolts [i think] to hold it up. So the time it took to take off the blades, scrape deck, install first piece, install second piece and put the blades back on takes a little time, so this is something you would not want to do often. That is the reason I just used the discharge cover because I might have to discharge some and mulch others. If you mulch most of the time the kit does do a good job though.
    As for the power----------I think the 223 is way under powered in the spring to begin with.