Mulching Kit or Gator Blade Discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32" Exmark with the Exmark Mulching Kit full installed. It's been doing great on leaves so far, but I need the ability to bag SOME accounts. With the Mulching Kit, I can't do that of course.

I do have a pair of Gator Magnums.

Should I take the Mulching Kit OFF of the mower and put the Magnums on and SIDE DISCHARGE into a grass gobbler catcher *OR* leave the Mulching kit on and blow the leaves into piles, picking the leaves up as the piles get big enough?

So the question is for leaves, do you JUST mulch and mulch and mulch or do you side-discharge with Gators?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I use an installed mulch kit. I don't think you'll get the results you are looking for discharging with any type of blade.

I have the luxury of spinning 2 wing nuts off and removing the discharge block off. I'm off discharging in a minute or so, then back to mulching in the same amount of time. Even though I like the idea of individual blade chambers on the Exmark when mulching....It sure presents a problem if you need to make a change in the field to bagging or discharge :(
  3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it sure does.

The mulch kit does not come on and off in the field, easily.

In fact, I've never done it before. I think it would take at least 20-30 minutes to do and that's alot of time.

I had been mulching with the mulch kit since...Memorial Day weekend.

It's worked great.

Then I heard all the talk on here about Gators.

I ran doubles for 1 day, way too much front blowout with the mulching blades and the gators both on, gators on top.. Forget it..

So I went back just to mulchers.

Wondering if I should go to side-discharge with the gators or leave the mulching kit on all the way thru until.... March and then we bag for spring growth?

I dunno.

Thanks for any advice.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

So do you "need" to bag or are you having trouble mulching in some areas?

I use standard regular lift Gators w/inside flow shreading tips and a mulch kit.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

If the 32" is your biggest mower, maybe mulch everything up as best as you can, then bag with a 21". Take longer though. Do you have room on your trailer or truck to tarp the leaves and haul off? I mulch most everything, but when you get the big piles its faster to tarp and haul off or vac.