Mulching kit or just blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fairwayCuts, Sep 5, 2004.

1. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I just recently started mulching instead of bagging and it saves so much time. The only thing is though, I use a mulching kit or plug for my mower, JD GS30 36" WB, with a mulching blade and sometimes if the grass is kinda tall or a little wet I get all sorts of trouble. Either there will be small clumps or the bottom of the mower gets so caked with grass I don't even think it's mulching. What do you guys do? any suggestions?

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Fairway,
    When it comes to tall or wet grass,you just can't mulch.That's an advantage to an OCDC.However,I keep some tools with me,so if I find it impossible to mulch,I take the time to remove the kit.It's only 4 bolts on mine.Then I put the anti-blowout baffles on and side discharge.(A little more time consuming)
    If you insist on leaving the kit on,then mow high and slowly lower the deck making more passes.It'll still clog on you though.If you stop,raise the deck,and shut off the blades,alot of the clumps will fall out.It makes a big mess though.

3. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been mulching for the last month and a half and my Toro Z-500 has performed outstanding. Even when the lawn is a little on the long side it looks bagged with the STOCK kit and blades. The leaves are starting to drop around here a little and I have been equally pleased.If I find out that the mulch kit cant handle the leaves when they really start to fall I will go back to my OCDC.