Mulching Kit

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ztrguy, May 15, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

I have a 52" Exmark HP with the Mulching Kit.

It seems to get clogged up around the baffles WAY too often. I just got done cutting an acre yard and had to clean it out 4 times. Should I take the Mulching Kit off and use Side Discharge?
    Also, the Mulching Kit leaves clumps of grass scattered all over the yard. If it's a small property then that's fine, but when it's 1 acre plus yard it takes too long to blow all the clumps out. What should I do?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ZTRguy,

Thanks for the post. There are several basic things we should look at.
    How much grass are your cutting off?
    What is your cutting height?
    Is it wet or dry? (Much of the mid-west has been getting hammered by storms)
    Do you hear the engine "bog" down?
    Do you hear the blades slow down?
    I'm assuming this is the Lazer HP?
    Has the dealer checked the engine rpm's?

Once we will have a better understanding of the conditions as well as if there is an issue with the mower.

If it's easier you can call me at 800-667-5296 or e-mail me directly at terry.eckert@exmark.com.

Thanks

Terry

3. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Cutting about 2 inches off.
    Cutting around 3 inches or 3.25 inches.
    Grass is Dry
    The engine doesn't bog down when it leaves clumps, but it does bog down once it gets clogged up under the deck.
    Dealer hasn't checked engine rpm's.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Ztrguy,

The first thing I would look at is the deck rake. It sounds like the deck may have a negative rake, meaning the front of the deck is cutting higher than the rear. I would also have the deck idler pivot inspected as well as the deck belt to make sure they are in good shape. It's possible that you're loosing some blade tip speed that is allowing the clippings to ball up a little bit.

Thanks

Terry