1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulching kits & long grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, May 29, 2005.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

on our 60" Lazer we bought a mulch kit and are running exmark mulching blades on them it work great in the early spring casue the grass wasnt growing that much boss thought it was the cat azz cause it didnt leave any clumps and cut great. Now I told the boss that it will only work when the grass isnt growng that much and now its in its prime growing season and is sometimes 6" + higher and the mower just cant cut it CLEAN the first time plus it clumps i end up haveing to double cut everything.
    is it common for mulching kits to cause the mower to not cut clean i mean it leaves lots of scragglys and turf turds on the first cut???? I just dont thinks its physically possible to mow with mulch kits and long grass??? I robs the enging of hp and have to spend more time on the property cause of dbble cutting. ;)
    Im lobbying for a quikshut or something like that to save on blowing so i can pull the baffles off and discharge.
  2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I never try to cut 6 inches in one pass with a mulching kit on any mower. Take off less on the first pass, and double or triple cut in a different direction each time dropping the deck a little, especially until the spring growth is over. I have a side discharge mower for the heavy growth periods on the larger lawns, but I alway take the Lazer Z with the mulch kit and for the second pass and it cleans up great. You'll love the Lazer Z once you get use to it. Don't over fertilize, and over water helps a bunch. But double cutting is the norm here.
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Up to 12" w/Micro Mulch....1 Pass No Clumps...You Need 2 eXcalibur Mulch Blades Per Spindle...Good hp to Deck Size...& a Clean Deck....It Can be Done.

4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Any good deep deck mulching mower can make 1 pass without leaving a mess. But watch out when your deck drops it all at once. on the next pass depending on how each pass is. That picture shows a very short pass try going 50 ft and then turn around and come back. Sooner or later the grass has to drop.
  5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a couple like that and what I've done is make a pass every 15 feet or so in one direction (north/south) and then mow the whole thing in the other direction (east/west). It's worked well so far.