1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching Kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dunn's, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

How much difference do the mulching kits make and are there ones that are easy to add and remove.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

mulching kits give you two trim side instead of just one. mine takes about 10-15 mins to take off or put back on. lately however, ive found its so much easier to just side discharge though.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a dedicated mulching kit with my turf tracers and lazer, but it needs the baffles that go in between the blades. The dedicitated mulching kits work great until the leaves get thick and for the growth after the spring growth.

If you are talking about a plate thay covers the discharge chute, then don't waste your time. All of the clippings go to the discharge chute and it leaves a pile of grass or leaves at the discharge chute.:nono: :nono:

:cool2: :drinkup:
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have one on my 737 and it works great, leaves a vacumed look on the lawn. However, in tall thick grass will slow you down big time and putting on/taking it off is a six pack, cussing,very time consuming job you would only want to do one time in life!
  5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

so if we where going to ad one ad it to a mower we could leave it on all the time. Is that what you all are saying?
  6. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

its not something you would take on and off regularly.

it will turn grass clippings and leaves to a powder.i put mine on from may thru December here on the coast then i but the bagger on for leaves in the winter.

we dont have the amount of fall leaves that yall deal with for the most part.

i can keep the mulch kit on my exmark most of the winter until the live oaks start dropping leaves in early spring.you would probably change to a bagger in sept\oct.

i dont think you would be disappointed in it
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Lugnut, how much trouble is the mulch kit to put on/take off the exmark? Was told is MUCH easier than the deere is. Have never seen one on an exmark so I could not compare. The number of exmarks you see in my area you could count on one hand and still have fingers left.
  8. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

its not very difficult to remove.just a few bolts holding the baffles to the deck.takes just a lil longer than changing the blades.

it does such a good job in most instances that removing it is unnecessary
  9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Discharge all the way :weightlifter:
  10. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Exmark's 'micro mulch "kit is unbelievable , turns leaves to dust gives grass the bagged look ,BUT they are a pain in the rear to add &remove . I had one on a 32inch Metro <didn't fit -had to re-drill mounting holes> Put one on a 44inch Lazer h.p. <diidn't fit had to re-drill holes > Put one on a 48 Lazer h.p. <didn't fit had to re-drill holes > They are not something that I would want to install-uninstall often . Exmaerk may have fixed this problem now -Idon't know Ihad the 2 Lazers at the same time so I ran one with and one without .

I will be interested to see how this new Toro of mine does <ease of installation etc..>