1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching lawns in Seattle, can it be done?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, Apr 29, 2001.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 21 Honda with a mulching blade. When I try to mulch a lawn it always looks messy and when I am done the deck will be clogged with grass. Would I be better off with a mower that came with a mulching deck to begin with? Or is it just too wet up here.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, I haven't been on here in a while! It's good to be back and posting. Anyway, on with the answer. It really depends on how wet the grass is. There's supposed to be a drought (sp?) this summer so I guess we'll see. If there was some way of getting a set of blades that did both for Honda so that you could switch back and forth from mulching to bagging, I'd buy a Honda in a second! I was concerned that Honda wouldn't mulch well with a bagging blade and wouldn't bag well with a mulching blade. What I'm getting at is that I don't want to change the blades all the time. I guess I'm lazy...
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Scag48, where have you been? We haven't heard from you in ages. ;)
  4. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Try using your honda with the mulch blades and the rear discharge chute that can be purchased for about $25.00. I've encountered the same problem with mine and went to this set-up and I've have been pleased with the results. It doesn't exactly force the clippings back into the ground but with the mulch blades installed you hardly notice them.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Eric-I dunno, kinda caught up in other stuff, I suppose. LOL. I wish I was on vacation the whole time though!
  6. I don't have a big problem with wet grass sticking when mulching w my HRC 216 but it has happened on occassion. My Honda does a fair job of mulching and I was hoping a Gator blade would fit and found out no such animal exists for my model. You can bag with the mulching blade and sometimes with better results as the bagger blade tends to push certain material out away from deck requiring double mow or slow down the blade speed to adjust.
    Hope this helps.
  7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Scag: Welcome back. Long time no see. You ready for the upcoming season i hope.
  8. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I even mulched today in the first rain in awhile. I mow short and use a reel. I think you may be out of luck with a rotary lawnmower with mulching wet grass. Keep your blades sharp. Scag you should have bought my MIDMOWER it just sold!
    We all should have a Washington State "say hi" @ a regional brewery! Anyone been over Hiway 20 yet?
  9. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

My nine year old did a science fair project last year called "GreenerGrass". For 30 days he measured grass growth every day and over that period we averaged 5" - 6" of growth a week! I usually mow on Tuesdays and Fridays just to keep up and believe me there's no way to mulch that kind of growth!

Dealers have told me that the only way to mulch here is to cut no more than 1" off at a time especially when wet and that's only if you've got a good mulching deck like some of the John Deere's which have counter-rotating blades. I do know of one hospital in Everett which uses this setup but they mow two to three times a week!

In the past I've used a diesel JD F935 which eventually was just haying the fields. There was build up to the point where it looked pretty bad. This year I've gone to the Exmark Lazer 60", cut more often and bag about every third cut. So far I'm surviving the spring but I'm thinking about investing in a couple of gallons of growth regulator!

I've been to the brew pub in LaConner but don't usually hang around in them. Maybe we could have a mow-off and see who's machine cuts the best--I've got plenty of area to use for the competition! Will M.
  10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Ziffle:
    Great idea on the competition. I only have one real big concern though. What should i do when your customer approaches me after the competition and asks me to take over the contract because i did the best job?

Unless it is POURING down rain i can always mulch. I was doing it today in the 40 mph winds and pouring rain till i saw the lightening. Then i packed it up and spent the next two hours in the shop cleaning and waxing the machinery. Are you using doubles Mr. Ziffle? Go gators on the bottom and the exmark mulchers on top. If you cant mulch with that then there is something really wrong. I did a 10" lawn a few weeks ago and after two times over it i could NOT tell i mulched at all. It looked totally bagged.