1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching leaves bad for lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

I have read somewhere in this forum that it is bad for your lawn to mulch the leaves up. Then, i also read that it was good fertilization for the lawn. if ne one could help?????
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think it would depend on the type of leaves and how many. I don't think a boat load of ground up oak leaves would do a lawn good.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It teally all depends on the type of leaves they are, the conditions they are being mulched in, and the end result because of them. I've saw some peple mulch them in, and leave big globs of mulched leafdust matted into the turf, having basically the same consistency as dirt. Well, what is THAT? What good does THAT do, if you have big dead spots that then have to fill in, because the grass was smothered out. I've also saw people just leave too MUCH material there that it is a fine line of the benefit vs. damage to the turf. Many times, with areas that have alot of leaves with high acidity (such as oak), the accumulation of material, even though it is finely ground up and doesn't show, can not benefit the turf, and, as a matter of fact, can have adverse effects as the acidity from this added material will drastically reduce the soils PH balance and ability to uptake adequate amounts of nutrients.
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

This has been done to death! Mulching is good for your lawn. The leaves go right back into the soil and make excellant dirt. The nitogen is also put back in the area it came from.

With no detectable biases
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Different strokes for different folks...
    Some like to and swear by mulching, but when the leaves get thick, I vac em up with the lazer. I love thew look of a fresh vaced lawn in the middle of leaf season. I do the regular customers weekly during leaf season, and they couldn't be happier. Makes it a lot easier for me also. :D
  6. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I do agree with premo the lawn does look a lot better with the vac look than with leaves ground up to powder on the lawn. That being said, I give my customers the option and to remove the leaves I charge more. I have a buddy that is in the lawn biz. and he puts all the leaves that he removes on his and his brother's garden, and they don't need any fert. after that. Their gardens are out of this world. Mulching can't be all bad. What I like I dont have to haul them away. Just my thoughts Tony
  7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

thanks for your input, by the way what part of stl are u from lawnmaster?