Mulching leaves in fall till the end?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Jul 4, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Usually I do it like everyone else leaf boxes, vacuum, blowers etc. I run lazers and Super Z's. Would mulching leaves save me time, money and trips to the dump? Do they make amachine like a mower but just for shredding and mulching leaves? They should I would buy it!

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Charlie, in the 6 years Ive been in business, I have never took one leaf to the dump (limbs and starw another story) I use the bolt on mulching kit on my mowers and when I finish with a yard it looks as good as if it were rakes or vacummed. I have had many comments about how good I make a leaf loaded yard look. I just blow the leaves away from house and any obstacle I cant get close to and turn my chute towards what I still have to mow and any trails of half unmulched leaves I keep going over them as I work my way towards finishing the yard. I know everbody has their own way of doing things but this is the fastest easiest way to me. My yards consist of pecan,oak.magnolia,mulberry. and the worst to mulch is dogwoods, takes 2 times over them. If I had some before and after pics (will take some this year) would show you how it looked. I will say my JD 717 does the best of any mower I ever used on mulching, The cyclone rake worked good too but is way to big for most my yards.

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

dude u need to blow if u want to or not mulching in our area is not a option in out grass they cant handle all that mulch without thining out its to thin Big BIG truck with huge loaeder all tghey do is go house to house for piles crws blow to curb all the truck dose is run to the dump

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

What language is that? I feel like I was reading something written in Cyrillic.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We mulch the leaves up about every two weeks throughout the winter. We have mulch kits on all our mowers. We have a Toro midsize 37in recycler that pulverizes leaves.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

This is exactly how I do it too. By the way, I run a JD 757 and it mulches better than any mower I've used as well.