1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching leaves

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by opher, Aug 21, 2006.

1. opher

opher LawnSite Member

I have a Ex-mark TT 48", If I were to get Gator blades or if there is anything better,open for suggestions, for my mower do I need to get the mulching kit for my deck to do mulching of leaves or would the side discharge work?

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

The gators work good for side discharging leaves but the best way to mulch the leaves up is with the mulch kit and mulching blades from exmark. As long as you don't have 6" of leaves on the ground the mulch kit will turn the leaves to dust. I've got a 48" TTHP that I keep the mulch kit on year round for front heavily landscaped yards and for mulching up leaves. I've got a 60" lazer that I discharge up until the leaves start to fall then I put a mulch kit on it until they are falling so fast that it won't keep up then the ultra-vac goes on. The mulch kit will stay on the TTHP the entire time.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about exmark but on scag we run with the side discharge closed year round and that works fine when we get to leaves. We bought all those fancy device to make chambers around each blade but never put them on. And it does seem to matter what type of blade except it does need to be high lift.
  4. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

I started mulching leaves a couple of years ago and liked it so much that I just left the mulching blades and kit on my deck all summer long. Keeps the shrub and flower beds cleaner and mulch looking better if you don't spray them with grass every week.
  5. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have mulched an entire "leaf drop from oaks and sweet gums that were close to6 inches deep , they were so deep the mower started pushing the leaves into piles ! it took some going over but when I left there was nothing on my trailer but equipment . Exmark makes an excellent mulch kit ,use their mulch blades> It's not something you want to have to take on and off very often but it works wonders on mulching leaves ! The only thing that a mulch kit won't mulch is PINE STRAW ! the person who invents a device to shred that stuff fast and easy will become a rich man......