1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hubjeep, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep LawnSite Member

I am trying to come up with a leaf clearing strategy for the yard. In the past I have done a combination of mulching and blowing the leaves (to the woods), since I waited until the end and mulching would have been a bit much.

I have an Exmark Lazer-Z HP, 23HP Kawi, 52" deck with mulch kit and gator blades. I was thinking about going out a couple times each week after the leaves start falling and mulch the entire lawn (after blowing bed leaves onto the lawn).

Anyone else mulch leaves? Are there any drawbacks to mulching them?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lazer hp and a turf tracer also. I use the mulch kit on them and mulch the leaves on a weekly basis until the leaves start to fall good, then they are too thick to mulch. I have an ultra vac for the lazer, and do leaf cleanups and charge more for this service. I normally wait until all the leaves fall to get the beds clean, but sometimes I will get the front of house landscape areas clean a couple times to make it look better.