mulching near foundations

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bw, Apr 4, 2002.

1. bw

bw LawnSite Member

I've heard a couple people say not to use mulch near your home, which makes sense, because it draws bugs and such, then i've heard the mulch is treated don't worry about it. Today I heard don't use Cypress mulch, use Cedar mulch..... So if you experts could clear this up for me I would really appreciate it..

2. Lance Takara

Lance Takara LawnSite Member

Not an expert but here's my 0.02 observations

We have assorted greenwaste mulch here, not really the decorative bark all of you have available.

We have noticed that termites like to bore into wood. Thus when the mulch has thicker chunkier pieces, we are more likely to find traces of termites. However, we have occasionally found some termites in compost (fine material) as well. Go figure. It's probably just a mixture of the left over termite material.

All in all, we don't find too much termites in our mulch. Keep in mind that there are trees that had active termite problems that were processed into mulch.

The key with termites is moisture and a protected area (wood thick enough to be bored)

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard about the bug problems , but havnot expeirienced them myself... We use mostly cedar or Hemlock , which are both inscet tolerant... Hardwood is also the most popular around here cause of the price, Also.. Most of the homes in my area have had termites at some point in time and have been treated and chemical soaked to prevent further infestations, So I dont really think its' too much of concern around here.. Correct me if i'm wrong ??????
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive never heard of it being a problem here. ive done several mulch jobs where it was required up to the foundation, and never had a problem. i usually use pine bark or spruce mulch by the way.
  5. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

In northern Illinois the concern is bugs - mostly earwicks. Not alot of damage from earwicks. People just don't like bugs in or around the house. Cedar has natural oils that make it resistant to most boring bugs. The advice from the extension service is keep the mulch back from the foundation. Also, keep it off the trunks of trees and shrubs.

P.S. bw please update your profile with a location. It would help when giving advice for problems specific to a particular area. Good luck!