1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulching Newbie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sdgoes, Apr 11, 2000.

1. sdgoes

sdgoes LawnSite Member

I have put mulch beds in before, but I have never worked on a existing one. I had a client call and ask for me to clean out his mulch beds and to mulch them. I don't know if he had leaves in there or if he wants the old mulch removed. Want is the normal procedure? Any tips would be appreciated. I did fall cleanup for him and he gave me a 100.00 tip. Very nice people, very good to work for and very generous. I want to do a good job.

2. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

if there isnt a big insect problem in the existing mulch i would leave it, spray round-up on any weeds and put down the new mulch<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

When renewing mulch, always check depth of existing mulch. Never have mulch depth exceed 4&quot;; I like to keep under that, like 3&quot; or less. If mulch is too deep, will cause root rot problems and can impede air and water penetration. If you are going to add 1&quot;, and depth is already 3&quot; - 4&quot;, remove some of the old first. <p>When adding new mulch, spread evenly at least 1&quot; deep to control weed growth.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

4. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

IF YOU WANT CHEAP INSURANCE FOR A GREAT LOOKING BED USE AT LEAST 2&quot; OF FRESH MULCH,AND GO TO LESCO AND BUY A BAG OF THEIR NEW PRE-M FOR BEDS YOU'LL LOOK LIKE A REAL PRO WHEN NO WEEDS COME OUT OF THE MULCH. ALSO ABOVE ADVICE IS SOUND REGARDING DEPTH OF MULCH...TOO MUCH IS NOT A GOOD THING.