mulching observations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ssouth, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Today, on one of my properties I decided to mulch only. I usuallly use side discharge then bag for leaves. I put the mulch kit on (60" lazer) with gator magnums and went at it. Production was much faster with little blowout. Last year I tried this set-up and blowout was terrible. Here's what was different. The deck was 1/2 lower in the front instead of 1/4". Even the oak leaves were destroyed. On this same property last week, I took trailer full trailer load ( heaped on) off of this property. Today, all of the leaves fit on one tarp. I should also mention that there were twice as many leaves this week. My whole point is: if you are experiencing lots of blowout to try and lower the front of the deck. Good luck with the leaves.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:D
    Hey, sounds like a plan to me!!!!
    I am having problems with blow out with my lazer and ultra vac, mabey this will help to eleminate it. It is bothering me to have go back and double cut the opposite direction to get all the leaves. :angry: I will try it with mine.

3. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Believe me it does make a differance,I purchased a ultra vac for my 48" ZTR and was not pleased with its perfomance,I even had a post about a week ago asking what to do about this problem,Exmark makes a baffle kit for the 52's and up but not for the 48,so I returned the whole machine to my dealer to have him see what it was doing since this was his 1st year dealing Exmark,I returned the next day and he said he did lower it from a 1/4 to 1/2" and told me to try it.