Mulching Pine Needles Into Grass

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Tell us more...worst offender needles here are ponderosa pine with those super long needles. I typically bag those lawns. Not sure if they would mulch well?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I was commenting on his lack of proper methodology. You need to find a better source of information.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

OK got it... We do have a slightly different situation here, but I do have a relatively active mulch going on in the lawns now, so they may be able to absorb a few pine needles... I'll start slow... :)

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I mulch mow most of my oak leaves into my lawn (two 75 foot white oaks.) I can check the pH tomorrow with my meter. The pH was 6.8 in 1999.
    Wife blows them from flower beds into lawn. I mulch them repeatedly with lawn mower in grass. We remove only the heaviest accumulations with a snow shovel. Within a few days or rain the grass grows up through the residue.

5. Smallaxe

Good to know... :)

6. RigglePLC

Ok, I checked the pH in the area were we mulch our oak leaves. I used my inexpensive garden store pH meter. PH was 6.8 in both the front yard and the back yard where the oak leaves are mulched. My university soil test also came back as 6.8, but that was in 1999. Maybe I can find an area that has a lot of pine trees and pine needles to test with my meter. If I find a spruce tree does that count?

7. RigglePLC

I checked under several evergreen trees at the botanic garden. 60 foot scots pine, 18 inch diameter: pH 7.

30 foot Serbian spruce pH 6.9. I will try to find more.

8. Smallaxe

I believe the idea of pine needles and oak leaves lowering the pH of the soil is a myth...