mulching plate

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by binkley, Nov 9, 2006.

1. binkley

binkley LawnSite Member
    from nc

i have a cub cadet 2185 {44 inch deck} and went to the local dealer to get a mulching kit he told me that they don't make one , can you just cover the discharge or is it more technical than than , and do i need special blades. i just want to mulch leaves

2. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

the way i made one is by angle cutting a 2 by 4 and covering up the discharge hole. to remove mine it is one screw. after mulching i take it out and go over the lawn in a different direction to scatter the line of muclched leaves. it is kinda caveman but it works. on the second pass with it off i usually untie my striping chains and stripe the lawn. it looks good and natural fertilizer too.

3. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Mulching kits improve the performance of the mulching dramatically. That said, yes you can just cover the outlet. You may have to cut more than once because it does tend to leave streaks of leaves. (half our mowers have improvised mulch plates.

4. The Rookie

most people dont know the difference between stupid and ignorant. Stupid people cannot be helped but ignorant people can learn. :waving:

5. IRRITECH

What........?

6. The Rookie

that is my quote, i am ignorant to alot of stuff that pertains to professional lawn service but i am trying to learn. does your quote pop up every time you say something because i am ignorant..

7. IRRITECH

Best of luck to you. Drove through KY a few weeks ago on my way to Detroit to pick up some equipment, Beautiful State. Yes the qoutes pop up when i post.