Mulching Plates and Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnwcropp, Apr 23, 2004.

1. johnwcropp

johnwcropp LawnSite Member

I just purchased a scag tiger cub 48 and scag 36 w/b hydro. I would like to put the mulching plate on both machines. What blades should I use. Gators, scag eliminators??? Anyone else using the mulch plates on scags??? I do not want to bag and I do not want to blow grass all over flower beds and whatnot. Any input will be appreciated.
  2. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

OCDC!!! That would be the first thing I would look into.
  3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I just put Gators on my 48"Scag Cub and presently running without a mulch plate. The blow out of cut trimmings is 75% less than the stock blades but, the grass was wet. I don't normally mow when wet but today and tommorow will be an exception.
    I've got a new lawn Sat. that hadn't been mowed in 3 weeks and it will most likely be wet too. I'm anxious to see the results of's about 8-10" tall.
  4. bugspit

Mowed the overgrown yard today at 3", no mulch plate but with Gator blades. Did great, blew to the outside with small enough shavings that I didn't mow twice over piles.
    Got a new lawn now at every 10 days :D

It did bog down in a few areas of purple deadnettle that was about 10" high, besides that and mowing a bunny it was easy. didn't bog on the bunny.

I also sprayed the deck with WD40, still compacted but scrapped off easy. Installed the mulch plate this afternoon, now that my lawns are back to normal mowing height.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you get the mulch kit from Scag for your mower? It's designed to work with your deck and although I don't own a Scag, I know people that do, and they rave about it.
  6. bugspit

WOW.. what a difference double blades make!!

Was running the Gators w/o a mulch plate as stated above. Installed mulch plate with gators and wasn't too pleased, looked as if I was going too fast but I wasn't..not pleased.

So, mulch plate still in place I used stock blades on bottom and gators on couldn't believe the difference, I could go twice as fast and the lawn looked perfect!

The only "issue" was alot of blowout , especially from the front.
    The deck baffel is in the middle setting, going to set it at the lowest and see what happens.

But, I'm sold on double blades!

Might get the Scag mulch baffles but at this time I don't see much need.