1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching plates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DTM65, Jul 27, 2000.

1. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

OK, there's been alot of discussion on this forum about mulching versus not mulching and blade set-ups to use when mulching.<p>Based on your great advice from this forum, I bought some high-lift blades for my Scag Turf Tiger 61&quot; this spring and they make for a great cut. My question is, for those of you that say you mulch, who of you are using mulching plates (or keeping your OCDC wat-ch-ma-call-it down) versus just using gators and/or double blades and discharging out the side?<p>Are there times of the year that you use a mulching plate and times that you don't?<p>Thanks in advance for the input!<p><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>
  2. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Tom, I modified my side chute for my Walker so I could flip it up or down. I generaly run it down for the first cut. Then lift it on the second cut. I also run the Walker double mulching blades. In south Fla, double cutting is pretty much the rule if your aiming for quality.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla
  3. stick

stick LawnSite Member

I have the same mowers you got, I run the mulching plate all the time in Fla. I wouldn't run double blades on your mowers, because of the drive shaft and gear box for the deck. It's just to weight to get those blades moven't, too much on PTO , drive shaft and gear box, there weren't tested to do doubles blades. It also increses spindle temp. causesing grease to break down faster.<p>I know that putting that mulching plate slows you down big time, they really did a poor job of designing the deck, it wasn't really made to mulch.<br>But its build like a tank and takes one hell of a beating, thats what i like about it.<br>Just remember, don't do the double blades!!!<br>Hope this helps.