mulching pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by slowleak, Feb 20, 2003.

1. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

being a newbe i'm interested in how you guys buy your mulch,quanity,? quality? do you bid your mulch jobs with a mark up on the product included.? and finally is 17.50 a yard a reasonable price.? thanks kevin

2. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I'm getting 13 yards delivered today. I buy composted mulch so it doesn't take too much nitrogen from the soil. It costs me $21.50/yard delivered. It's really nice stuff.

I charge an hour a yard on top of the mulch plus 20%. Depending on the job, I may also add a delivery charge.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

60/yard cedar here , recap only.

I don't do new installs.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

$100 even/yard installed. Includes edging. Pay about $22/yard for 3x hardwood mulch.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Scraper's price range is appropriate.....one yard an hour is a decent benchmark...its an average that works out pretty well

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $75 per yard, installed for, double shredded light, medium, and dark bark mulch. My cost per yard is $14.50.

For colored or dyed bark mulch, I charge $100 per yard installed. my cost is $23.50 per yard.

7. Green430

Green430 LawnSite Member

I charge about 55-60 per c.y. for hardwood mulch. I also use a mulch blower company for my bigger jobs. The nice thing is they do everything for about 30-35 per yard. Does a sweet job also.

8. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

$60 - 100 per yard. Is that including the prep work (ie: weeding, cleaning out beds, edging, etc.) or is that price just for the material and installation?

9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually include prep work in my price. If the weeds are excessive I may charge an additional fee. But as long as the job calls for 4 to 5 yards of bark, I usually dont increase the price for excessive weeds.

10. Tom Musselman

Tom Musselman LawnSite Member

Wow. You guys charge $60 to $100 per yard?

So a customer with say 5,000 sq. ft of beds, at ~200 sq. ft/yd, would need 25 yards of mulch and would be billed for $1,500 to $2,000 with materials (on high side at $20/yd) at $500?

Perhaps I'm missing something here but those numbers seem high to me. $40 to $45 per yard are about the most I've seen around here. I could be wrong, actually I'd love to be wrong and start billing out at these rates if the market will bare it. Unfortunately, I doubt that very much.