Mulching Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Swampbeast, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I went and bought mulching kits for all my SCAG mowers, with the standard Mulch Master Blades. They suck. So I went back to using the mulch kit with the straight edge Marbayne blades instead. It works pretty good.
    My question is, what do yall use with the mulching kit?
    I mow St. Augustin grass that is roughly 3.5-5 inches tall before I cut it down to 3-3.5 inches. Some of this stuff is pretty thick and lush.

Thanks

:cool:

2. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

the only thing i mulch is leaves. and then i use gator blades.

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

What hp and deck sizes do yo0u have? Try the x-blade set up, high lifts on bottom and standards on top work best for my own personal mower.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Just wanted to let you know that you are cutting the grass too high. IFAS states that St. Augustine should be cut 3.5" to 4.5" high. I use Scags all the time with just reg. blades and mulch plates with no problem (just picked up another one today). Also, check your thatch, that will make it harder to mulch as your deck sinks down into the turf. Cut higher you will be fine.

5. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Nelbuts, hold on a second, first you said "you are cutting to high" then at the end, "cut higher, you will be fine" Eh?

I have them on the full range of SCAG mowers, everything from a 32 inch WB to a 72 inch SaberTooth Tiger ZTR. I did get the highest horsepower engines (ALL Kawasakis, except the Daihatsu diesel on the Saber) for all the models.

I usually cut the grass at 3.5 inches.

:cool: