Mulching question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kartracer2000, Apr 13, 2008.

1. kartracer2000

kartracer2000 LawnSite Member

Somebody told me that one should not put mulch in beds next to the house because it draws ants and other insects. They were mostly worried about ants being drawn to it and getting into the house. Is this correct and if it is, is there something I should put down like an insecticide before i put down the mulch. Anybody ever heard of this? thanks

2. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I do not use mulch at my personal residence. I prefer other methods of weed control. i.e. groundcover, rocks, over planting etc. I use ground cover at my own home and never have a problem with weeds. However many people like mulch, after explaining the downsides of mulch to them and the upsides of other weed control methods if they still want mulch, I put it in for them. Hope this helps!

3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I personlly haven't seen the ant issue. At our previous house we had ants, but even before we mulched, a simple barier treatment solved the bulk of the problem. Each ground cover has issues. Mulch is flamable (I have seen commercial properties, where careless smokers have started fires). Stone gets full of leaves/debis after a while & can't get cleaned out well, kids will pick up & through rocks, not good for plantings. Plants (ivy, pacasandra, etc.) provide hiding places for small animals (mice). I personally use mulch because I live in a rural area & mice don't need an area next to the house to hide from my cats, & I like the fresh look each spring.