Mulching Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Adam McCoy, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Adam McCoy

Adam McCoy LawnSite Member

Hey Landscapers, question here. I normally just do lawncare and can price stuff like cutting, edging, etc. But one of my customers wants me to mulch there yard. I didnt know how to price this however. I guess the best way is to charge by the cubic foot (right?). How do you measure for the cubic foot. What is the first thing I do? Measure the boundaries, calculate cubic foot, times the depth? Also, how much should I expect to spend on mulch versus what I charge? What is the going rate? Thanks for any imput.

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to www.atstecks.com
    we get $50.00 per yard installed! On that site you will find a mulch calculator

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

the best way to charge is by the yard. try and work a deal out with your local nursery, so you make money on the mulch and the labor. im getting $45 a yard right now.

4. Adam McCoy

When you say yard, do you mean 3ft by 3ft ? And how deep is this, can I go to a nursery and say I need 5 yards? How much time do you think that I can do a "yard" in and what do they cost for materials and should I lay plastic down and poke holes in it or is that just for rocks. Thanks guys.

5. Adam McCoy

Brian,
    Thanks allot for the tip, that page is great! Their prices seem kind of high, $35 a yard for dark mulch, is it really like that everywhere? What are you guys paying?
    THanks

6. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. Just imagine a box that's 3 feet high and 3 feet wide on each side. On average I can spread 1 yard in an hour with wheelbarrows. Obviously , certain factors will either speed up or slow down the mulching time. Some factors include how far to travel with the wheelbarrow, can you just dump and spread, or are there a lot of shrubs to contend with, can you mulch out of a truck instead of wheelbarrowing?, etc..... Good luck.

LAWNS AND MOWER

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Please do not use plastic. How will the plants ever get water and air? And poking holes in the plastic is not the answer.

8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Lanelle is right... you don't want to use plastic for the reasons that were indicated... try using a landscape fabric, mesh fabric.. etc. Since everyone else is giving there numbers, we get $55.00 per yard installed for hardwood bark mulch. Edging, prep work. etc. is extra

9. Adam McCoy

I appreciate the responses, but do you charge $55 for the work + the mulch or just $55 a yard and that includes the price for the mulch, also, what kind of prep work should I do and charge?

10. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

$55.00 per yard includes material (mulch) and labor to install the mulch.

I set a minimum though... Example: a customer calls and need (1) yard installed... I don't bill for $55.00, I would bill around $110.00 or so... minimum of (2) yards charged. Not worth time, labor, hassle to go out for $55.00 with 2 guys, truck.. etc.