mulching question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Feb 18, 2003.

1. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

ok, I did a search on mulching and I am buying a lazer hp 52" with the mulching kit.
    My question is this: Once I put the mulching kit on , can i just take the baffles off and side discharge plate to use side discharge if I need too , and run it with the mulching blades on .....
    Is there differant choices of mulching blades, which are the best.
    thanks
    mike:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

2. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I remove my baffles on a regular basis. They come off fairly quickly and at this point in my career, I don't have so many yards that 5 minutes here or there kills me. I never use anything but mulching blades on my mowers. There is simply no difference, that I can tell, too fool with buying 2 types of blades and switching them out all the time.
    One other thing, you said with the mulching kit on can you remove the baffles? On my mower the baffles ARE the mulching kit, other than the blades.

3. PRO PROPERTY CARE

ok, correct me if I am wrong.
    The mulching kit consists of discharge block off plate,baffles (too make each chamber sepertae from the one beside it), and specail blades.
    So if im mulching , then i run with all that on,if I want too side discharge, then I take off side discharge plate and baffles betwwen compartments. and leave the mulching blades on.
    Also is there a specific mulching blade thats better than the others.
    thanks
    :confused:

4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a block off plate. Just 3 baffles. Works awesome. I prefer the GATOR mulching blades.

5. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How much are you paying for the 52" Exmark? I'm looking at buying the 48" model for $6,000 - which seems like a pretty good deal compared to other quotes I've received. Just curious how much more the 52" will be (also, how big is the engine)?

How much add'l is the mulching kit?

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

That is correct, I use the mulch kit and I think it would take too much time changing from mulching to side discharge.
    I guess if you did that you would just keep the mulching blades on.

How do you take the two baffles, side discharge plate off in 5 minutes. Man that must be a record for fastest time to do it. It would take me longer than that in the feild.

7. AlpineLandscpMaint

AlpineLandscpMaint LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer HP 48" deck and I have the mulching kit also. From my experience, the kit works the best with factory mulch blades. I have tried gators, original high lift. I have also tried to "cheat it" by not taking the whole kit off and let me tell you, Exmark really designs this thing to work as a kit. I get blow out if I use other blades and I get poor performance when I dont take it at the way off and try to side discharge.

8. PRO PROPERTY CARE

23 horsepower lazer 52" hp in canada is 10,600 cnd funds.
    lazer 60" (full size lazer) is 12,600 cnd funds.

didnt get the final price on mulching kit , trying to work out a deal. buying other things there also.

maybe smaller walkbehind, 32".......
    weed waker
    blower
    etc:

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You can't just take the center of the baffles out. They are in sections. It takes too long to go from side discharge to mulching. Once you have the mulch kit on you will not take it off again until you plan to keep it off for extended period, such as ultra vac for leaves.

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not think you could possible take off the complete mulching kit from an Exmark in 5 minutes.

Maybe another brand its possible.