Mulching question.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jaybow, Apr 10, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You charge $400 total?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

They have never been cheap with me, he asked me if I wanted to order it or him. I just let him do it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

Id say 6-800 or so depending on prep. If it's wide open could probably do it in one day with no prep
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

$400 is just flat out ridiculous. Sounds like they're taking advantage of you. Are you really young?

5. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Sure you could. But the problem is when you have someone else pay for materials now they know what they're paying is just for labor. $1000 is totally justifiable but you get glares because it's only a labor bill. Whereas if you price the whole thing yourself and just bill it all out it gets less questioning.

How long would 16 yards take you? Depending on location of beds, amount of laborers, and what equipment you use the pricing could be all over the board. 16 would probably take me the better part of a day depending on those factors. A guy with a mulch blower might be there for an hour and a half.

Pretty much......

Yep. Most people just have a hard time taking "No" for an answer so they price low to get the job to feel good. I'm no big time landscaper, not even close, but I'll walk from work people on here would fight for the scraps of.

Unfortunately for the topic creator you're in a pickle. If they've purchased the product already you've created a real awkward situation when they say "We have already ordered it and only expected to pay you $350." Even if nothing has been ordered you're still in a pickle and will either need to walk, take a hit and move on, or maybe they accept a reasonable price.

6. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

So you have your rate, but you're following what someone else is telling you?

7. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

35 a yard is what I would charge for that.

8. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

10 hrs, and that's using an old mower converted to a power wheelbarrow. It would take 14 to 16 without it, in fact without the machine there's no way I would do it alone. I think I'm gonna go with $400
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. whiffyspark

Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

Have fun.

I honestly doubt you'll be in and out in 10 hours
    Posted via Mobile Device