Mulching question.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jaybow, Apr 10, 2014.

1. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I stated in my first post the job I'm talking about is 14 yards, virtually empty beds easily accessible with a tractor. Should take about 4 hours. I don't think $100/hour is cheap. I have over 30 years in this business locally and this is a fair rate in this market.

2. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you can truly do that that's great. If I took a tractor on the properties I'm on I'd be fixing ruts. Different areas different soils I guess.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. windflower

Soil is sandy. Tractor has turf tires. Gets used mostly for mowing.

4. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

We're all clay here. Not friendly to heavy traffic.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

$75-$30=$45 $45x16 yards=$720 And you can go from there.

Michael

6. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just did a 10 yard job 800 total took 5 people about 3 hours to spread.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

10 yards, 15 hoursÂ…. up hill both ways with heavily planted beds?

8. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

Doing mulch jobs by an hourly estimation is just stupid...in my opinion. You need to come up with a per yard rate that you want and that is your rate no matter what. 10 yards at one place based hourly can be totally different at another place. And...eyeballing and estimating hourly...you'll probably short yourself. I charge $80 per yard just to install...just labor. I know how my body feels from all the labor after a big mulch job, I know how much gas it takes me in a day to get there, I know what my employee labor rate is, I know that the Government is going to want some of this money at some point. The average yard of mulch takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to install for me (one guy...more guys...goes faster)...load into wheelbarrow, push to location, unload with pitchfork or dump and hand spread...repeat process. Some people may be faster. But I'm anal about spilling mulch on the drive or road or all through the yard...so I take my time when loading and unloading the mulch so I'm not stuck with extra cleanup. I've never had a problem getting the $80...and...all my business is word-of-mouth. I pay attention to detail and I try leaving every client's house looking like a country club golf course. People know this and people will pay.

9. dave_14385

dave_14385 LawnSite Senior Member

my back and knees do not like doing mulch but when I do I will try to get at least $100 per yard
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. windflower

That job I had lined up just cancelled. Somebody is going to blow it in for $45 a yard, $10 bucks over retail.