Mulching question.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jaybow, Apr 10, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

That's typical for blower truck.

That usually doesn't include the mulch, though
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They must have more in the area that day. They'll be in an out and about an hour.

Trailer units do about 15 an hour. Trucks about triple that. They haul 30-70 yards a trip
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

These threads are always so entertaining.

It seems to me that everyone just shows up and starts throwing mulch into the landscape beds.

Our typical mulch job, everyday, requires 10 job tasks OTHER than just laying the actual mulch.
    - Edging beds by hand
    - Cleaning out bed debris/leaves, etc
    - Weeding, clean-up of last years perennial growth
    - TRIMMING! (Roses, boxwoods, hydrangea, etc etc etc!)
    - Fertilizing the beds, pre-m…
    - Hauling off debris, picking up materials…

…and so on. So, this "per yard" price thing for mulch has always baffled me. No two properties are the same and all have different job tasks to include in your time.

It could take us 2 hours to lay 8 yards of mulch on simple property "A"… while 8 yards may take 5.5 hours on complex property "B"…. you can't price per cu. yd. installed there. You will obviously loose $$

You have to take the entire job into account and the TIME you estimate it takes to get it done. NOT mulch quantity.

5. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Truck like that needs to be kept BUSY to justify having it. At least that's what I've heard from those who own them. But when you can put down 10-15 yards/hour, you can do a ton of mulch. If you own one of those you're buying mulch directly from a supplier by the 1000's of yards at a dirt cheap price. That truck can probably do $200-300/hr.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PLLandscape

You and I are COMPLETELY on the same page. I've never done a mulch only job...let alone price per yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Right!? Sometimes I don't even get to the supplier to load up mulch until 1:00 pm because we've spent 4 hours prepping beds/plants and hauling off edgings and debris.

8. PLLandscape

Exactly!

Just like you said, if you have two 8 yard jobs where one you can back up the truck to one large bed and be done rather quickly vs having to wheelbarrow to multiple beds filled with plants and change the same price? One job you're making a killing and the next you're not covering expenses based on a per yard charge.

I did get a chuckle out of this though. On a recent estimate I was told the last guy who had done it before left for a state job. It's a 7 yard mulch job with 400-500ft of edging on about 10 landscape beds for $600. I guess I know why he took the state job. Sounded like a per yard job estimate to me. Oh yea the property was ALL up hill. Fun times with a wheelbarrow.
    Posted via Mobile Device