Mulching questions for Quick 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Apr 29, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Need some help from all you experienced Quick owners out there.....

Cut my first two lawns with my Ninja today, mulched em.
    Typical early Spring thick grass, maybe slightly damp but definitely not wet grass. Lawns were not overgrown by any means, just at a good stage for cutting.

I noticed a lot of buildup of clippings under the mower deck, and blowout of grass 'wads' occurred every once in a while. When I cleaned the under-deck at the end of the day, noticed some pretty good buildup of grass under there, a little more than I hoped I would have seen.

Has anyone else noticed this buildup with their Quick's while mulch mowing? Does a Fluid Film coating make a drastic difference? What height does everyone out there mulch at? Any other mulching tips with the Quick?

Other than this concern, the Ninja rocks!

2. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have the quick 32 sami. So far I have only bagged with it, and mowed some wet grass and it clogged the deck completely. Was missing strips and not baggin anything. Couldn't believe how bad it was. Clean it all out and it has worked fine since. Have you tried it since you cleaned it out?

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

TPS - nope haven't tried it since I cleaned it for the first time. Maybe it is the new paint that causes just enough tackiness to make the grass stick?? Looking forward to going out tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

4. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yea, not really sure, I cut 10 lawns with mine but all bagging so far. Thats the only problem I had and haven't had any since. Good luck.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

As good as the Quick's are, this is a big reason I sold my Samurai. Especially if the fescue is wet, it will build up almost down to the blades. IMO, the deck is not designed for mulching as much as it is for side discharging or bagging.

6. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I don't think that this deck was designed with an emphasis on mulching, like most machines, it is primarily a side discharge deck.

No matter what we tried, we never got it to mulch as good as a Honda for example.

7. john_incircuit

from NC

What did you replace it with?

8. lawnspecialties

A Deere 717A. Another reason I sold it was so I could sit instead of walk.:laugh:

9. john_incircuit

from NC

This is one I'm really interested in. Are you side discharging or mulching with it?

10. lawnspecialties

I side discharge but I have a friend who only mulches with his and he says it's the best mulching mower he's ever used.