Mulching Questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Newbie07, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Okay, looked up a lot of info on mulching but I got some questions still.

1)What the heck do you do when it is simply covered in weeds, as in largely patches of clover or ground covering weeds?

actually, i guess thats it

Thanks guys
    Travis

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

You can spray the weeds, wait a couple of days, clean it out and then put the mulch down.

3. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

Or... You can till it up (mantis's work great for this and make the mulch/dirt much easier to remove), remove it, lay down a weed stop fabric, replace with new mulch.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Wrong time of the growth cycle for systemic action (round up) as all growth is out bound. Contact action will kill off leaves but let the customer know you will have to come back and treat later in the year to kill the plant.

You are licensed, right?

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i have gotten better success without the weed barriers, plastic, mesh and stuff, if you clean it out well, and use the proper depth of mulch, there is very little problem with weeds...:)

6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i agree, ive laid the fabric down before, i swore by it, until the home owner asked me to plant things for them lol... plus i feel that if you till the bed,it only spreads the weeds more, i only till a new bed.... the min i lay my mulch is at 3'' some established beds the i take care of, i lay downs a thin top coat every year so that it doesnt build up too much but it keeps the beds looking sharp..... hope this helps you?

7. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Ummm...no, I'm not. I am only 16. It's not possible for me to get licensed is it? I don't want to do anything wrong. Thanks PMLAWN

8. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Are the mantis tillers the little ones, they aren't extremely expensive are they? I think I will go with that, I mean tilling them up. When you say remove it, what are you removing? Do you actually pull up that chunk of dirt:confused: These places I was looking at have no mulch in them at all. Do I approach it differently it its covered in weeds and there is a small amount of mulch? Lots of questions but thank you very much!

Travis

9. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply scagwildcat and daveintoledo, I am not going to put down the weed block, just apply a thick layer of mulch to KILL em hammer
    lol, but you did say that tilling the bed up only spreads the weeds, why is that? Will i kill them if I ay the mulch down right after?

Travis

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they can lay dormant in the ground for 100's of years, and when your turn the soil over, the get the moisture and sunlight needed to start germination..... your looking at a hard job to do with out the roundup.... can you get the customer to spray there own roundup, then you take over...is this illegal, i dont know