Mulching rates??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ryan41, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

I have always gone hourly with mulching $35.00 an hour for labor. I don't have a trailer to haul mulch so i always have it dumped there usually the customer pays for the mulch and just hires me for the labor. I have a job that is 14 yards of mulch with some weeding. I know a lot of people charge by the yard. I want to do it that way so the costumer does not think i am slacking to make an extra buck. What would be a good price per yard of mulch installation? Labor only. Let me know
    Thanks,
    Ryan

2. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Well i always charge $70 a yard delivered and layed down. It cost me about $32 a yard plus tax so lets call it $35. So I make $35 a yard to deliver and lay. I can usually lay 2 yds an hour by myself as long as its not going in and around lots of flowers and tight spots. Is it just dump and rake and spread or is there a bunch of small beds and flowers to go around? Should be able to do 14yds by yourself in one long day or with a helper in 3/4 of a day.

3. ryan41

so i am pretty much right on? 35.00 a yard?

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

We now charge 70 per yard for mulch delivered and installed. So 35-40 sounds about right to just install.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ryan41

Thanks!! What about for hand weeding?

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

$90.00 per yrd. Delivered and spread.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Always charge per yard, you can get it done faster than per hour and make more $$$$. If you charge $35 per yard and lets say you can lay two yards an hour, pay a helper and pay them $15 and still make $55 an hour off of them and get it done in half the time!!! If you charge $35 per yd. at 14 yds you'd make $490. If you charge $35 and you get it done in 10hrs, your only making $350 losing out on the extra $140.

8. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

100.00 per yard including delivery and labor.

9. MyYardPeople

MyYardPeople LawnSite Member

I usually hit $70-$80 per yard and charge seperately for delivery. Never had anyone question the price. If it was just going to be install I would probably hit around $35-$40 per yard

10. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

! am with the $70-$80 folks.