mulching/side discharge question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt Hermann, May 12, 2010.

1. Matt Hermann

Matt Hermann LawnSite Member

im 16 and have a little lco, and for the coustmers that dont care if its bagged or side discharged, what shoukd i do. i have 2 21inch mowers. does mulching look better than discharge or vice versa? thanks

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

If your mower mulches good you won't be able to tell that it wasn't bagged. Mulching may use a little more fuel and add some time on a small mower like a 21. Mulching looks way better than discharging if its done right.

3. Matt Hermann

what do you mean by done right?

4. unkownfl

Right mower, slowing down when need be, staying off area that will lose vacuum.

5. Matt Hermann

i have a jon deere js63 mower and a craftsman both 21inch...both mulch....i could bag the persons yard but id have to charge more and if i can get away with mulching it would be easier and quicker for me

6. unkownfl

Mulching is fine down here but up there it could cause some issues I believe with thatch.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i side discharge all my lawns with my 48'' but when i used to use a 21'' i mulched and it looked great

8. bd44

bd44 LawnSite Member

Mulch unless it's too moist. Then sd and maybe cross cut it with mulch plate in. If you can get by charging more for bagging and don't have any dumping issues, figure out how much more you can charge vs. additional time. Let the dollars tell you what to do if the customer dosen't car

9. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

mulch with the 21 inch mowers but when you get a bigger mower side discharge

10. Matt Hermann

Thanks guys, I charge $5 more for bagging because it takes longer.
    Posted via Mobile Device