mulching skills

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by charlies, Feb 6, 2004.

1. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i had been training this guy on mulching for about 2 weeks or so. i left him in the front yard, and the new foreman whom i was also training in the back. there was very little left to do in the front lawn, i pointed out what was left. i had to do an estimate, i would only be gone about 45 min or so.

well, when i got back i discovered this: you know those cable wire tubes, light green, rounded at the top, about 8-10 inches in diameter that stick up out of the lawns, about 3-6' off the street? well mr. self starter finished the work i told him to, and took the initiative and ringed and mulched it.

i laugh about it now, it was pretty danged funny. you know, turning such an eyesore into a feature.:eek:

2. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

That's awesome. Almost hard to be mad at the guy. I hd a buddy helping me out one day who stuck about 15 small shrubs in the ground still in the pots. Luckily I felt one when I was putting down the fabric before we rocked the place. Silly me, I guess I should have been more clear when I told him to dig a hole, put in the plant, and backfill the hole. He had them perfectly spaced and all at the right height, just forgot to take them out of the pot. Oh well. At least it only took about 10 minutes to fix.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

atleast the guy was trying. its hard to find anyone that can even do that.

4. charlies

from earth

unfortunately, when we started mowing a few weeks later, he turfed every single turn at a high end clients 2 acre backyard. same week, same neighborhood, different house, he completely destroyed a kids handmade from wood and screws fort while moving it, and then hid the remains in the weeds. fired!

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

well in that case id say its just typical.

6. charlies

from earth

different crew, a few weeks later, my brother stopped by a property and the foreman and crewman were leaning back on the cool grass under a shady tree, having a smoke and a nice ice-cold drink. isn't that quaint?

7. askarvelis

askarvelis LawnSite Member

When I first was in this business in the 80's I worked a parttime job. I sent my helper/friend to mow an apartment complex. I lost the contract and found out why, he would cut, kiss his girl, cut, make out in my truck...... you get the picture! Now I am very gun shy to send help anywhere without me!!!