1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

mulching, spring clean up

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by phil413, Feb 27, 2012.

1. phil413

phil413 LawnSite Member

So I need 12 cubic yards of mulch or 115 bags. I have 3 guys at 45 per man hour. I can get mulch at $24 per yard. I have 350ft of edging to do, and prune 15 bushes.

My estimate...
    $135 per hour for 6 hours=$810

$288 for mulch

$145 for bed shaper for the day

Total $1243

What are your thoughts?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds right on the money. What kind of mulch are you using, seems cheap for bagged material.

EDIT- Might want to beef it up a shade for all the edging.

3. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds pretty good. How are you moving the mulch? From a dump truck with wheel barrows, loader or what? How will it be delivered to the site? 3 guys can spread 12 cubes as long as it all there and your not running back and forth with p/u trucks loads and walking a long distance with the wheel barrows.

4. phil413

phil413 LawnSite Member

Well thats the thing, i don't know what method I am going to use to move the mulch. If it's bags, we may carry them or wheel barrow them. If it's bulk I may have to rent a dingo. I don't want to back the truck up and risk tearing up the grass.

5. White Gardens

You are over-thinking it. I've done 20 yard mulch jobs in one day by myself in the right conditions with just a standard wheelbarrow.

Wheelbarrows are all you need. Easier to get it to where you need it and place it bagged or bulk. Besides, mulch is light.

Now, if you were talking about 12 yard rock job, then that's when I would start talking about equipment.

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Have the mulch deliverd bulk. Use 10 cuft wheel borrows and bedding forks. 3 guys can do 12 yards in 2.5 to 3.5 hours.

7. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah it is easier to load the wheel borrows at ground level then from a bed of a truck.

8. White Gardens

I have to disagree.

Using scoop shovels, it much easier on the back and much faster from what I've found.

9. POWER STROKE

POWER STROKE LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with White Gardens.

10. All_American_lawn

All_American_lawn LawnSite Member

Wish I could get mulch that cheap. I just paid 505 including tax for 9 yards delivered for a project tomorrow. That was the cheapest I could find and the delivery fee was only 20 bucks.....