Mulching techniques

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rescuedlawn, May 7, 2014.

1. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

I started to do a little landscaping and I have a quick question. What are some of the best tools to use when laying down mulch? My last job was installation of 12 yds and the client was happy with it. How do you get the mulch to have a blanket like look? What tools are used to get that flat and lump free look? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a flat rake and pat it down I pitch fork to load wheelbarrow and spread

3. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Flat rake and just pat it down. Gives it that blanket look you want and gets rid of clumps

4. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My hands seem to give the best look

5. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Always spread by hand, keeps it smooth and leaves a great finish.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Flip a leaf rake over and pay it down when you're done
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

hands or upside down hard rake to smooth it out. can use a hoe if you have to.

8. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

hands and leaf rake at the end if u want, but I always smooth it out with hands I like it

9. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. I usually use my hands but this amount was a little much and it was all new installation. I dumped and spread with a rake. I'll have to try some of these other techniques in the future.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. wilsonsground

wilsonsground LawnSite Member

grab it by the handful and throw it...its all in the flick of your risk. like shooting a basketball. and then back of a leaf rake to fluff it and smooth it out. We dont dump by the wheel barrel...you waste sooooo much mulch that way. where you dumped it will always been thicker. Much faster than pitch forking areas and coming back to rake it or push it around with your hands. but there will be those beds that you cant throw it out.