1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

.Mulching v Bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royal Oaks, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Royal Oaks

Royal Oaks LawnSite Member

Hi, could someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of mulching v bagging on a high quality very large household lawn. The lawn is the owners pride and joy. He says bagging is the only way! Cheers. :waving:
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Depending on what mower you are using, bagging usually makes the lawn look cleaner and overall a nice appearance. Some mowers cut well enough you really can't tell the difference. The disadvantages to bagging are obvious. If you cut often enough, mulch or discharge are usually good enough.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

when I first started out in business, I did bag some lawns, but as I learned more and got the exmark mowers, I never bag on a mowing now. The only time I bag is for the leaves, and that is a premiun charge. If I had to bag for regular mowing it would be more per cut, because of having to haul the clippings away.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a mower that muches well, it would be good for the lawn and a lot easier. The lawns get nutrients from the grass clippings left on them, and the clippings help protect the turf from the sunlight.