Mulching vs. Bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcroskey, Dec 26, 2005.

1. jcroskey

jcroskey LawnSite Member

I am new to professional lawncare and I was wondering what is more popular, having a mulching deck or having a bagging system on the unit. Thanks

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Use the search feature to find threads on this topic. It has been discussed, debated, argued, .... over, over and over again. After you read many threads, you will have to arrive at your own conclusion. "Popular" as your question asks is not the right question, rather what you want/need to do, how you wish to work, how you wish to be paid, what kinds of customers and their demands, what kind of equipment you wish to invest, etc. You will see from existing threads opinions range widely. There may be firm answers to some questions, but this question isn't one of those.

3. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

I may have replied to this before , but , I only mulch . I use an 48" Exmark Metro and installed the mulching plate and baffle . Its a little tough in the spring with thick juicy grass . No discharge , no debris in beds or on cars etc....... It does require constant cleaning to maintain peak performance .

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Unfortunately we can't mulch up here. The grass it too thick and if someone tried to mulch it just creates a mess most of the time.

5. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I started out in 2002 Bagging with a Craftsman. I have since moved up to a 60" Exmark with the 3 bin bagger. This year however I have cut out 75% of my bagging with a 31 hp Lazer Z XS mulching. To make a long story short I can mulch 75% of the time, but when the leaves are knee high, Thank God for my bagger (After I have mulched them of course)

6. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

I bag in the beginning of the growing season and also bag when leaves come down. between that i mulch the grass.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

mulch only

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I mulch my lawns for now but have been entertaining the thought of gettin a bagging system. IMO, customers probably prefer bagging grass even though they cant tell the difference. With a bagging system I could prolly get paid more green.

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Yeah I thought about bagging thick grass, and never worry about clumps and stuff. But then I don't want to mess with the clippings and going to the dump.

So for me I only mulch.

10. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

i have to bag 24/ 7