1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulching VS Bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigpappaab, Dec 7, 2010.

1. bigpappaab

bigpappaab LawnSite Member

Which do you all prefer, mulching or bagging?

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch virtually all accounts. Have two or three out of about 140 that demand bagging. Removing all that bio-mass (and with it nitrogen and other nutrients that can be returned to the soil) off of turfgrass isnt a good idea IMO.

3. bigpappaab

bigpappaab LawnSite Member

That is my opinion exactly. I prefer mulching, but some people are just set on bagging. I cant figure why they would want to throw away free fertilizer.

4. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I side discharge or mulch 99.9% of the time. On the rare chance I do bag, I have to have a place to dump the grass on site. I wil not haul away grass clippings under any conditions. If a prospective customer demands bagging, I can usually talk them out of it, if not I pass the job on to my buddy who is set up to bag.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

if given those 2 options i would bag. i have had bad experiences with mulching. and i was doing everything right. had the mulch kit, the mulch blades. the people that tried to help me solve my problem couldn't even figure it out.

i side discharge everything and bag when needed. plus i have an account or 2 that insists on bagging.

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

What is bagging ?

Mulch or side throw everything.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I bag most of my accounts. There are a a handful that I mulch or side discharge, but for the most part I bag. Yes, I have to take care of the clippings at the end of the day but I don't have to blow off clippings from driveway/sidewalks, no worrying about clumps in the lawn, etc.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

just use the orange line sammy and you'll be fine.......:laugh:

9. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I mulch unless the customer asks for bagging and then charge extra for it/ i have the mulch kit for my lazer worked pretty good but have to raise the deck a bit when grass is high and definitely sharpen blades every day

10. mhaley927

mhaley927 LawnSite Member

Side discharge. As a Christams present to myself I'll be adding an Operator Controlled Discharge Chute (OCDC) to keep clippings out of beds and off driveways. Only a few of my lawns during spring growth make me wish I had a baggin system, but we just cut them every 4 or 5 days, and if we have to we double cut it.