1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulching vs. bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Sep 3, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

right now i bag all my lawns because i am able to dump all debris and clippings for free but next season i would like to mulch, to rid myself of the hassle of dumping my heavy bagger. are mulching blades able to handle heavy spring growth without clumping or having to do double cutting i want to make one pass and be done leaving fine particles bagging just gets old:eek:
  2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

i want to make one pass and be done leaving fine particles bagging just gets old:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

I tried mulching only. Not with the heavy spring growth, but during this summer. We've had pretty good rain so the grass wasn't too dry like usual in July/August. My mower is an Exmark Lazer and I installed the micro mulch kit. I didn't like it. Too much double cutting and excessive grass buildup under the deck. I hate to think of what it would be like w/ heavy spring growth. It was bad enough this spring w/ all the rain we had just mowing w/ the Ultra-vac installed. I used the mulch kit for 3 weeks and took it off. Doubt I'll ever use it again, but there's quite a few guy's who only mulch. Maybe they've got some advice for me and you. How 'bout it?
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Your better off bagging. Picking up clumps gets old too. But you should try it.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Mulching only for this operator. If the growth is out of control then I will double cut (the second pass the deck is raised up) to disperse the clumps. I would also suggest if you want to take on mulching you do the fertilization so you can control the growth.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

THere's a guy here who's been on this site for awhile who says he mulches almost all the time...I think they spell his name
    H O S S...maybe he'll chime in for you

Personally I too, dont like the results with mulching in high growth times....so I took it off. I absolutely HATE to bag and carry grass but I have finally realized that with this weather, the only way I can keep productivity up to where it needs to be is to bag, transport, and dump. SImply been too much grass to mulch unless you are mowing every 4 days and most of my commercial customers will absolutely not go for that.
  6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

My mulch kit never comes off my mower, except for spring "scalping". It will mulch heavy spring growth,, just go over again in a different direction, easier than bagging and takes the same time as bagging, no longer.
  7. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

I'm trying to ''mulch only'' from now on with my new 36. But earlier this year I moved the mowers up a notch dew to the high temps and now i think i'v lost control of them. Because now i'm having to double cut do to clumps. Next year i'm going to leave the mowers down. Hopefully I will be able to mulch no problem. Otherwise mulch kit change out is a problem and I will either have to bag or discharge, more than likely bag, because nobody likes clippings on there lawn up here. I HATE BAGGING NOW, oh well.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

for me personally, I don't do mulching that much or bagging, mostly side discharge. I probably do more bagging though than mulching
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulching is the ONLY way to go for many reasons. IMO
    Do some searches here for 'mulching' 'bagging' 'blades' and so forth.
    Lots of info already here, same question's been asked and answered MANY times.